“Moving the country forward” has been the Department of Transport’s theme this year, and a very appropriate one at that. Trucks and other modes of transport are an essential part of South Africa’s economy.
As much as they’re an important investment, many online sources state that truck sales have struggled this year. Transport operators, meanwhile, have to deal with losses through theft, accidents or other causes that could quickly put them out of business.
To guard against this, here’s what transport and logistics companies could consider improving:
- A lack of driver training: After equipment failure, human error is the biggest safety compromise and contributing factor to accidents. All drivers should have the necessary training required.
- Not meeting qualifications: The conditions to obtain a Professional Driver’s Permit, necessary for all commercial drivers, requires a certificate of medical fitness from a doctor. Additional qualifications are required for specific vehicles, too – as one can imagine, any driver cannot simply hop into the cab of an oversized truck and drive off.
- Overloading: It may be tempting to load as much as possible onto vehicles, but overloading increases the likelihood of an accident, while also causing excessive damage to the road. In fact, overloaded vehicles are responsible for R400-million worth of unnecessary road damage per annum.
- Not being insured. When something goes wrong, whether it is an accident, a crime or a breakdown of any sort, it is essential that the situation is remedied. Cover such as Goods in Transit insurance, Truck and Trailer insurance, and even Driver Dishonesty insurance, should all be considered. Learn more about these solutions here.
- Not being aware of the dangers: It is not only hijacking of vehicles and staff that operators must be alert to; petty crime has also become an issue. Increasing grab-and-go incidents, as a vehicle moves up a steep hill or stops at a traffic light, means that strict measures are necessary to secure cargo from thieves.
At MiWay, we’re not just about insuring things – we understand the value that these “things” bring to our lives… We know that for many business owners, their trucks or vehicles are the lifeblood of their business.
By having the right business insurance in place to protect precious loads and the well-being of your business, you are able to continue living your way, even if something does go wrong.
If you don’t already have business insurance, get an affordable online insurance quote. Each quote is tailored to your business, so you never have to worry about paying for unnecessary add-ons.